EtsyTeam ProfileFlickrMembersJoin

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Member Spotlight: Movetheneedle

Meet Anna of Move the Needle!

Anna specializes in handmade paper goods, including journals, planners, and greeting cards. She also makes photo frames and boxes.

1. What school do you attend?

I go to Allegheny College in western Pennsylvania.

2. What are you currently studying?
I am a Studio Art major and have a double minor in Creative Writing and VESA which stands for Values, Ethics and Social Action (it's basically about volunteering and how to make a difference in the world). Our school requires our major and minor to be in different fields of study so that's why I have 2 minors.

3. What types of classes do you get to take? Which one is your favorite, and why?

I usually take art classes, like Photography or Painting, which I love. Right now I'm taking a Junior Seminar course where I'm doing a big painting project in. I also take some classes in other fields like English and Psychology. I've really enjoyed my writing classes in poetry and short stories. I also usually take one Dance and Movement class every semester just for fun. Right now I'm taking Figure Skating and I've taken Ballroom Dancing in the past.

4. What do you want to do when you get out of school?

I'm not sure what I want to do when I get out of school yet. I want to do something art related, so I'll probably be looking for a job in that area. I want to continue crafting and running my Etsy. I also think it might be nice to travel right when I get out of school.

5. What are some of your interests and hobbies?

Besides crafting, I enjoy listening to music, painting, watching movies, reading, photography, writing and cooking.

6. What is your favorite thing about college so far?

I love that you can take classes for stuff you're interested in. For example, in high school, I would have to take science classes I didn't like as requirement. In college, I'm only required to take one science/lab course and it can be in something that interests me such as astronomy or light and color. I've also been able to explore interests I didn't know I had, like ballroom dancing.

7. How do you manage your school work and Etsy shop?

I think I just try to manage my time well. To me, my Etsy feels like another activity I do. Etsy is a lot of fun so it doesn't feel like work to me and is a nice break from my schoolwork. I'll usually go in stages where I work on my Etsy shop a lot and then I might have a lot of schoolwork, so I don't craft as much until I have more time. I try to go on Etsy a little bit each day though.

8. What is the best advice you can offer to a fellow college student crafter?

I'd say, don't be afraid to open a shop just because you're a student. I saw somebody else say this, but I think it's a good idea to open your shop while you're on break from school. That way you have time to stock up and create your shop without distractions. Also, if you find you don't have a lot of time, just do one little thing on Etsy each day – like listing or writing a blog entry.




Etsy
Buy Handmade
movetheneedle

No comments:

Post a Comment